Blog content

BPIP says Indonesians should be cautious of religious content on the internet

TEMPO.CO, JakartaPancasila Ideology Development Agency (BPIP) chief secretary Achmad Uzair Fauzan urged Indonesian citizens, especially those of the younger generation, to be careful when browsing religious content on the the Internet.

Indeed, not all content available on the Internet is true and some contain elements of radicalism.

“We used to go to sermons in order to get a religious education, but now we students are looking for them on social media or websites,” he noted during a YouTube webinar. Saturday.

“There are many progressive religious figures, but there are many whose teachings are questionable. So, we have to be careful,” he said.

According to the National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) report, some nine thousand websites contain radical content and some 54.87 percent of the younger generation search the Internet for religious references.

“Research also indicates that only 10 percent of content on the Internet was reliable, while the remaining 90 percent are hoaxes and their validity was unverifiable,” said Fauzan.

Fauzan noted that although technological advancements have provided an extraordinary opportunity to access a variety of information, technology users, who have not looked for specific sources, will obtain false information.

Therefore, it should become a warning for Indonesians, especially those of the younger generation, to make them aware of certain content, especially religious information, on the subject. the Internet, he said.

“People who write for a website, blog, or social media platforms don’t necessarily do so based on specific sources,” he noted.

Fauzan stressed that in order to solve this problem, one of the most important aspects that Indonesians should keep in mind is to improve their ability to use communication media.

Indonesians should be more critical and be given the opportunity to choose correct, accurate, up-to-date and complete information.

Read: Indonesia continues to provide free internet access to students

ANTARA