CityBeat is looking for a web-savvy individual to manage the publication’s online presence as a digital content editor. Candidates should be comfortable managing busy social media accounts, working in a fast-paced environment, and have experience writing an online post. Duties will include but not be limited to updating citybeat.com daily, scheduling social media posts for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, meeting monthly web traffic goals, managing freelancers , creating photo slideshows and writing daily blog posts.
CityBeatThe Digital Content Editor will work under the direction of the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor to develop, define and maintain the digital presence, quality and consistency of the publication on a variety of platforms, including blogs, reports, slideshows, event listings, social media posts. , e-newsletters, etc., with a particular focus on increasing traffic and brand visibility.
Responsibilities will include editing, content creation, data analysis and appropriate response, overseeing the post’s social media presence. This role will oversee a small but diverse team of employees, interns and freelance contributors. A successful digital content publisher will combine their technological savvy with a passion for creating and sharing meaningful material.
Cincinnati CityBeat is a Euclid Media group company. EMG is a progressive media, marketing and events company that connects local businesses with influential and culturally engaged audiences through world-class events, marketing services and fiercely independent editorial content.
Does this job sound perfect to you? Read on to learn more about the position.
Digital Content Editor
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Type of employment: Full time
RESPONSIBILITIES – This role entails the following expectations, but is not limited to:
- Contribute original content to CityBeatblogs and slideshows. It is expected that a total of 8-10 blogs will be posted per day among editorial team members and 2-3 editorial galleries will be created per week.
- Edit the blogs written by your colleagues daily.
- Manage and coordinate with staff and freelance contributors to provide a daily supply of materials to keep the website and social media presence fresh, increase return traffic, and convey the true voice and tone of the publication.
- dungeon CityBeat‘s digital numbers above the EMG minimum and aim for weekly bonuses.
- Collaborate with marketing, sales and promotions staff to coordinate the release of their digital content with editorial content.
- Follow EMG’s digital best practices and participate in weekly digital calls.
- Work with interns to ensure they contribute to CityBeatmeaningfully and effectively.
- Ensure staff and freelance contributors meet deadlines and maintain assignment focus.
- Check the accuracy of content and SEO packaging and make sure they comply with copyright and privacy regulations.
- Edit content so it’s easy to view on mobile or tablet screens.
- Make weekly and daily plans with the editorial team and other EMG markets to locate galleries and blogs and online-only content that enhances what was planned for an issue.
- Create seasonally appropriate content for holidays, seasons, special issues, and more.
- Schedule daily and weekly blogs that can help create patterns that regularly draw people to the site (weekend events, gatherings of adoptable animals, etc.).
SKILLS — The skills/behaviours required to be successful in this role are:
- Excellent writing and editing skills with an understanding of the special requirements of writing for the web, such as the use of keywords, hyperlinks, navigation, and the importance of brevity.
- Superior skills in spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure in a busy newsroom.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively and collaboratively with direct reports, contributors, other internal departments and the public responding to posts.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to collaboratively plan short and long term content.
- Moderate proficiency with Google apps and other documents, spreadsheets and productivity products.
- Moderate proficiency with Canva and Photoshop.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of HTML and CSS basics.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of content management systems, such as Foundation and WordPress.
- Strong online traffic analysis skills to adjust content production based on site performance and traffic patterns.
- Excellent understanding of industry best practices.
- Proficiency in social media and ability to effectively plan, share and distribute content through social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit).
- In-depth knowledge of alternative social scenes and media in the geographic area (or enthusiasm to learn more)
- Passion for new technologies.
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule that includes working remotely and spending at least two days a week in the office.
- Basic understanding of journalism or marketing fundamentals.
- Understanding of editorial processes and organizational systems.
- Ability to recruit, manage and develop staff and freelance digital contributors.
- Adobe Creative Suite skills a strong asset.
- Working knowledge of using Google Analytics.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Proven success driving increased social media traffic.
- Use of social media from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Apple News and other social media and traditional media websites.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or Mass Communications preferred but not required.
- 2+ years of online production experience
- 2-5 years of full-time editorial experience.
- 2+ years of experience managing media or communications websites and/or social media accounts.
- Training in journalism and/or communication.
- 2+ years of online production experience in a media company.
- Social media manager experience.
- Professional experience blog.
- Base Salary + Bonus (if applicable/achieved)
- Paid leave/PTO
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Ashley Moor at [email protected].
EMG is committed to equal employment opportunities. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on a legally recognized basis [“protected class”] including but not limited to: veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, orientation sexuality, gender identity, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local law.