Blog site

Dedicated “Diablo” Site Will Stop Supporting “Diablo Immortal” Because It Goes Against Their “Values”

A screenshot from Diablo Immortal

Image source: Diablo Immortal

Maxroll, a fan site and online resource for games like Diablo III and lost arkcloses the branch of its site which focuses on Diablo Immortalciting concerns about its monetization system.

Diablo Immortal has been an extremely controversial game, to put it lightly. Since the game’s release, gamers have wondered about the extreme extent the game takes to get you to spend money. The game is also not available in the Netherlands and Belgium due to their loot box laws.

The authors and publishers of Maxroll have cited the game’s economic structure as the main reason why they are abandoning the branch of their site that covers Diablo Immortal. They said that while most players weren’t vulnerable to the tactics used in Diablo Immortal to get people to spend impulsively, continuing to support a game they felt was predatory was against their core values ​​as a site.

“Cancelling a game that we’ve put over 10,000 hours of work (and a ton of developer money) into is not something we do lightly. In fact, we’ve never canceled a game before,” they wrote in a blog post explaining their decision. “Even with poor reception, our immortal branch would continue to generate revenue on our side. Life is more than money, it it’s about doing the right thing.

As Waypoint recently reported, Diablo ImmortalMonetization systems can be particularly predatory for people with gambling addictions, which Maxroll has given as the primary reason it will no longer support gambling.

“The predatory Pay-To-Win system far exceeds what is considered the norm for mobile games. Gambling addictions are real and can completely destroy lives,” the site writes. “Even though 99% of players have perfect impulse control, we still can’t stomach what happens to the other 1%. It’s completely against our values ​​and we won’t be part of it anymore. »

Waypoint contacted Maxroll for comment, but they did not respond in time for publication.

The post goes on to explain that in addition to the game’s monetization scheme, the community’s lackluster reaction to the game impacted their decision.

“The disappointment we felt at launch matches that of the community. Not only from [pay to win] perspective, but about the game itself,” they wrote. “Although we are not game designers, we cannot believe this is the state of the game after nearly 2 years of testing and feedback.”