UPDATE: Donald Trump’s blog site, designed to give the disgraced former US president an online outlet after he was banned from Twitter, Facebook and other services, was shut down for good about a month after his debut .
However, the “news” section of the Trump website includes statements from the 45th US president – and it appears that blog posts have been moved there.
The blog, titled “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump”, has been removed from his personal website (donaldjtrump.com) along with all posts. A senior Trump aide, Jason Miller, told CNBC that the blog section is not coming back and is “only an adjunct to the larger efforts that we are leading and working on.” In a Twitter PublishMiller said the removal of the blog was a precursor for Trump to join another social platform.
In a May 5 post on his website, Trump lambasted Facebook (as well as Twitter and Google) after Facebook’s independent watchdog confirmed the social media giant’s suspension of Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts for his role in inciting the deadly January 6 riot on the United States Capitol.
“What Facebook, Twitter and Google have done is a total disgrace and embarrassment to our country,” Trump wrote. “Free speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the mad radical leftists are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever.” Trump also issued a vague threat that “corrupt social media companies must pay a political price” and he alleged that they had somehow worked to “destroy and decimate” the US electoral process.
In its decision last month, Facebook’s Supervisory Board criticized Facebook for imposing “the indeterminate, non-standard sentence of indefinite suspension” on Trump. The board ordered Facebook to review Trump’s suspension “to determine and justify a proportionate response that complies with the rules that are applied to other users of its platform” within six months.
Facebook froze Trump’s accounts on Jan. 7 until at least President Biden’s inauguration, with CEO Mark Zuckerberg citing the potential for continued violence for the decision. “We believe the risks of allowing the president to continue using our service during this time are just too great,” Zuckerberg said at the time. Twitter permanently banned Trump on Jan. 8, and other internet companies have taken similar steps to “distort” him.
As the Overnight Board noted, on January 6, Facebook deleted a video posted by Trump telling the Capitol crowd to come home – while reiterating baseless allegations of election fraud and telling rioters’ we love you. , you are very special. Later that day, Facebook deleted a post from Trump in which he wrote: ‘These are the things and events that occur when a sacred landslide election victory is so viciously stripped of great patriots who have been treated unfairly for so long. Come home with love in peace. Remember this day forever! Facebook deleted both posts as part of its policy on dangerous individuals and organizations.
Two weeks later, Facebook announced that it was returning the decision to restore Trump’s accounts to the Oversight Board, the 20-member organization made up of lawyers, academics, political analysts, journalists and industry experts.
Critics have long called on Facebook to ban Trump to stop the spread of disinformation, including Trump’s repeated false claim that the 2020 election was somehow rigged against him. Conservatives have castigated measures to distort Trump as violating his political rhetoric.