A new version of the Telegram messaging app is now available for all supported systems. The new version introduces several new features and improvements, some of which are limited to certain operating systems.
Telegram is to notify users of the update the next time it opens. It can also be updated automatically on some devices.
A new blog post on the official Telegram blog lists all the new features. Here is an overview of the new features and improvements:
- Protected content in groups and channels – Owners of Telegram groups and channels can enable restrictions for all members, which restricts forwarding of messages, capturing screenshots and limits the ability to save media posted to the group or channel . Administrators can enable the feature under Settings> Group type / Channel type> Restrict content recording. Users who attempt these operations receive the following error messages:
- Unable to take screenshot due to security policy.
- Copy and transfer are not allowed in this group.
- Clear chat history from a specific day or date range in all one-on-one chats. To use the feature, tap the date bar in the chat window, select the dates you want to clear, then “clear history for those days”.
- New button to quickly link desktop devices and a new setting to automatically disconnect inactive devices after a certain time. Select Devices under Settings to get started.
- Ability to appear as a channel when posting to public groups or leaving comments on the channel. Tap the profile picture next to the message bar to select one of the channels available for posting.
- New connection verification option via an incoming Telegram call and entering multiple digits of the phone number that called instead of receiving the code via SMS.
- Membership requests highlight the community they come from.
- Android users can use global discussion themes. This unlocks the topics of individual chats for the entire app. The feature is already available on iOS.
- Devices with iOS 13 or newer can use Text recognition which allows users to “quickly select, copy and search”. Image recognition occurs on the device.
- Multimedia subtitles on iOS now support bold and italics.
- Contact details redesigned on iOS.
The new Telegram update is rolled out to all client installations.
Now you: are you using Telegram or some other messaging app?