Tiger Woods held his first press conference on Tuesday since a car crash in February that left the 15-time major champion with significant leg and back injuries.
“I don’t expect this stage to ever be what it was,” Woods told reporters at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas.
“The clock is ticking. I’m getting older. I’m not getting any younger, so all of that combined means that a full schedule and a full training schedule and the recovery it would take to do that. No, I don’t. want to do it, ”he said.
“I have already given up surgeries,” he added. “I won or I almost won before, so I know the recipe. I just had to get to a point where I feel comfortable enough that I can do it again.
“As for playing at Tour level, I don’t know when it’s going to happen,” the golfer also said of his return to the sport.
When asked if he was in pain during the press conference, Woods answered with a “yes”.
After the car crash left him “motionless for three months,” Woods said it was an “important step” to be able to get out and feel the sun in a wheelchair. He added that his injuries were so severe that the amputation was “on the table.”
Earlier this month, Woods tweeted that he was “make progress” in his recovery, as well as a video of him swinging on a golf course.
At the time of the crash, reports indicated that Woods’ vehicle had passed a median in the Los Angeles area. The vehicle crossed two lanes before colliding with a tree and rolling over on the driver’s side.